Janelle Wong is Director of the Asian American Studies Program at the University of Maryland, where she is also Professor of American Studies. From 2001-2012, Wong was in the Departments of Political Science and American Studies and Ethnicity at the University of Southern California. She received her PhD in 2001 from the Department of Political Science at Yale University. Wong is author of Democracy’s Promise: Immigrants and American Civic Institutions (2006, University of Michigan Press) and co-author of two books on Asian American politics. The most recent is Asian American Political Participation: Emerging Constituents and their Political Identities (2011, Russell Sage Foundation), based on the first national, multilingual, multiethnic survey of Asian Americans. She is a co-Principal Investigator on the 2016 National Asian American Survey, a nation-wide survey of Asian American political and social attitudes. Her current research is on growing numbers of Latino and Asian American evangelicals and their role in U.S. politics.
From 2014 to 2017 Wong served on the national board of the Association for Asian American Studies. Her advocacy work has focused on support for affirmative action and other Asian American issues. She has served as a guest commentator on The Melissa Harris-Perry Show and NBC News and her opinion writing has been featured in national and local news media. She also was co-author of an amicus brief (“Brief of Political Science and Law Professors as Amici Curiae in Support of Respondents”) in the Shelby County vs. Holder voting rights case (2013). Wong grew up in Yuba City, CA and attended UCLA as an undergraduate.
- Asian American Studies
Race and Politics
Political Attitudes and Behavior
- Ph.D. Political Science (Yale)
- M.A. Political Science (Yale)
- B.A. Political Science (UCLA)
- Wong, Janelle. Race, Immigration and Conservative Politics in the United States: How Latino and Asian American Evangelicals are Re-making Traditional Political Coalitions (under review) New York: Russell Sage.
- Wong, Janelle. 2016. “Political Science and the Study of Global Asias,” Verge: Studies in Global Asias (under review)
- Wong, Janelle. 2015. “Politics” In Linda Vo and Cathy Schlund-Vials (eds.), Key Words for Asian American Studies. New York: NYU Press. 189-195.
- Wong, Janelle. 2015. The Role of Born-Again Identity on the Political Attitudes of White, Blacks, Latinos and Asian Americans. Politics and Religion. 8(4): 641-65.
- Iwamura, Jane, Khyati Joshi, Sharon Suh, and Janelle Wong. 2014. “Reflections on the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life’s Asian Americans: A Mosaic of Faiths Data and Report,” Amerasia Journal. 40(1): 1-16.
- Wong, Janelle Karthick Ramakrishnan, Taeku Lee, and Jane Junn. 2011 Asian American Political Participation: Emerging Constituents and their Political Identities. New York: Russell Sage.
- Wong, Janelle. 2006. Democracy’s Promise: Immigrants and American Civic Institutions. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Lien, Pei-te, M. Margaret Conway, and Janelle Wong. 2004. The Politics of Asian America: Diversity and Community. New York; Routledge.
- Lee, Taeku and Janelle Wong, 2011 (October), “Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Policy Needs in Civil Rights,” AAPI Nexus: Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders Policy Practice and Community, 9(1&2): 1-3.
- Ramarkrishnan, Karthick, Janelle Wong, Jane Junn and Taeku Lee. 2009 (July). “Race-based considerations and the Obama Vote.” DuBois Review. 6:219-238.
- Wong, Janelle and Vivian Tseng. 2007. “Political Socialisation within Immigrant Families: Challenging Parental Socialisation Models.” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 34(1): 151-168.
- Wong, Janelle. 2007. “Two Steps Forward, One Step Back…The Slow and Steady March of Immigrant Political Incorporation.” DuBois Review 4: 457-467.
- Stoll, Michael and Janelle Wong. 2007. “Immigration and Civic Participation in a Multiethnic and Multiracial Context.” International Migration Review 41(4) (November): 880-908.
- Wong, Janelle, Pei-te Lien, and M. Margaret Conway. 2005. “The Role of Group-Based Resources in the Political Participation of Asian Americans.” American Politics Research 33(4) (July): 545-576.
- Wong, Janelle. 2004. “Getting Out the Vote among Asian Pacific Americans: The Effects of Phone Canvassing.” AAPI Nexus: Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders Policy, Practice, and Community 2: 49- 66
- Oliver, J. Eric, and Janelle Wong. 2003. “Racial Context and Inter-Group Prejudice in a Multi-Ethnic Setting.” American Journal of Political Science 47 (4): 567-582.
- Lien, Pei-te, M. Margaret Conway, and Janelle Wong. 2003. “The Contours and Sources of Ethnic Identity Choices Among Asian Americans.” Social Science Quarterly. 84 (2): 461-481.
- Green, Donald, Dara Strolovitch, Janelle Wong, and Robert Bailey. 2001. “Measuring Gay Population Density and the Incidence of Anti-Gay Hate Crime.” Social Science Quarterly 82 (2) 281-297.
- Wong, Janelle. 2000. “The Effects of Age and Political Exposure on the Development of Party Identification among Asian American and Latino Immigrants in the U.S.” 2000. Political Behavior 22 (4): 341-371.
- Green, Donald, Dara Strolovitch, and Janelle Wong. 1998. “Defended Neighborhoods, Integration, and Racially Motivated Hate Crime.” American Journal of Sociology 104: 2. 372-403.
- Wong, Janelle. 2005. “Mobilizing Asian Americans: A Field Experiment.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Sciences 601(September):102-114.
- Lien, Pei-te, Christian Collet, Janelle Wong, and Karthick Ramakrishnan. 2001. “Asian Pacific American Public Opinion and Political Participation.” P.S.: Political Science & Politics 34: 3. 625-630.
- Junn, Jane, Taeku Lee, Karthick Ramakrishnan and Janelle Wong. “Asian American Public Opinion.” In Robert Shapiro (ed.) The Oxford Handbook f American Public Opinion and the Media. New York: Oxford University Press. (in press).
- Lien, Pei-te, Janelle Wong, and Christian Collet. 2009 (July). “Surveying Transnational Political Practices and Their Correlates among Asian Americans.” In Pei-te Lien and Christian Collet (eds.), in Transnational Politics of Asian Americans. Temple University Press
- Wong, Janelle and Adrian Pantoja.2009 (June). “In Pursuit of Inclusion: Asian American naturalization and political incorporation,” In Jennifer Hochschild and John Mollenkopf (eds.) Immigrant Political Incorporation in Europe and the U.S. Cornell University Press
- Green, Donald and Janelle Wong. 2009 (April). “Tolerance and the Contact Hypothesis:
A Field Experiment.” In Eugene Borgida, John Sullivan and Chris Federico (eds.) The Political Psychology of Democratic Citizenship. Oxford University Press
- Wong, Janelle, Kathy Rim and Haven Perez. 2008 (September). “Asian and Latino Protestant Churches and Conservative Politics in the United States” In Irene Bloemraad and Karthick Ramakrishnan (eds.) Civic Roots and Political Realities Community Organizations and Political Engagement Among Immigrants in the United States and Abroad. Russell Sage Foundation Press 271-299.
- Wong, Janelle, Pei-te Lien and M. Margaret Conway. 2008. “Political Participation among Asian Americans.” In Jane Junn and Kerry Haynie (eds.) New Race Politics. Cambridge University Press. 70-94.
- Wong, Janelle with Jane Iwamura. 2007. “The Moral Minority: Race, Religion and Conservative Politics among Asian Americans.” In Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo, ed.,Religion and Social Justice for Immigrants. Rutgers University Press. 35-39
- Ramirez, Ricardo and Janelle Wong. 2006 (August). “Getting Out the Vote among Asian Americans and Latinos: The Role of Contact.” In Taeku Lee, Karthick Ramakrishnan and Ricardo Ramírez, eds., Transforming Politics, Transforming America: The Political and Civic Incorporation of Immigrants in the United States. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 151-171.
- Bedolla, Lisa García, Katherine Tate, and Janelle Wong. 2005. “Indelible Effects: The Impact of Women of Color in the U.S. Congress.” In Sue Thomas and Clyde Wilcox (eds) Women and Elective Office Past, Present and Future (2nd Edition). Oxford University Press.
- Wong, Janelle. 2003. “Gender and Political Participation among Asian Americans.” In James Lai and Don Nakanishi (eds) Asian American Politics. Rowman and Littlefield.
- Lien, Pei-te, M. Margaret Conway, Taeku Lee, and Janelle Wong. 2001. “The Pilot Asian American Political Survey: Summary Report.” In James Lai and Don Nakanishi (eds) The National Asian Pacific American Political Almanac, 2001-02. Los Angeles, CA: University of California, Los Angeles, Asian American Studies Center.
- Wong, Janelle. 2000. “Political Attitude Formation and Participation among Asian and Latino Immigrants.” In Lydio Tomasi (ed). In Defense of the Alien. New York: Center for Migration Studies.