Answering Your Questions:
- For academic policy questions pertaining to the American Studies M.A. or Ph.D.: Dr. Jan Padios, Director of Graduate Studies or Dr. Psyche Williams-Forson, Chair of American Studies.
- For course and program advising, contact your American Studies faculty advisor,Dr. Jan Padios, Director of Graduate Studies, or Dr. Psyche Williams-Forson, Chair of American Studies.
- For forms or paperwork pertaining to graduate policies, check the departmental and Graduate School websites, then contact your academic advisor for signature and then Dr. Jan Padios, Director of Graduate Studies. When all signatures are in place, please give the paperwork to Dana Persaud for processing.
- For scheduling rooms for events or signing out departmental equipment, e.g., CD, VCR, and DVD equipment contact Dana Persaud and make reservations on the department calendar in the main office.
- For anything pertaining to money (payroll, fellowships, insurance, travel reimbursement, ordering pizza for a working group event, honoraria for invited speakers), first clear the expense with Dr. Psyche Williams-Forson, and then talk with Department Coordinator, Julia John.
- For unofficial advice on courses, professors, working groups, campus organizations, College Park or Greater Washington resources, contact veteran graduate students or members of GSAS.
- Dr. Psyche Williams-Forson, Chair of American Studies
- Department Faculty, Affiliate Faculty, and Department Staff
- Veteran Graduate Students:
- Manouchka Poinson and Maria Velazquez (CRGE “CrISP” Fellows)
- Lisa Tropea (Media Studies Working Group)
- Maria Velazquez, Christopher Pérez (GSAS)
- Robb Hernandez or Jessica Johnson (Latina/o Studies Working Group)
- Johonna McCants (Carceral Studies Working Group)
- Justin Maher
- Erika Thompson
- Kristen Williams
- Christopher Pérez
- Recent Ph.D.
Graduate Certificate Programs:
- Critical Theory Certificate
- Digital Studies
- Historic Preservation Certificate
- Museum Scholarship and Material Culture Certificate
- Women’s Studies Certificate
Important Sources of Information:
- Graduate School Catalog for information on Graduate School policies
- Schedule of Classes (through Testudo)
- Deadlines for graduate students (including thesis, dissertation, and graduation application deadlines).
- American Studies graduate program descriptions, including M.A. and Ph.D. program requirements, M.A. and Ph.D. worksheets, and Ph.D. comprehensive examination requirements.
- University of Maryland for general information
- Campus graduate assistant opportunities
- Ombudsperson for Graduate Students: Dr. Mark A. Shayman, Professor and Graduate Student Ombudsman, 2100F Lee Building, TEL (301) 405-3132, firstname.lastname@example.org
See also: http://www.gradschool.umd.edu/about-us/ombuds-office
Your First Week (New info for fall 2009 forthcoming)
- Registering for Classes
- Finding Class Descriptions-visit the webpage of the pertinent department or phone the departmental secretary. Most departments maintain separate descriptions that supplement what appears in the Graduate Catalog.
- Student ID Office-Main floor of Mitchell Building. You need a Student ID card to obtain your email account and to use campus facilities such as the shuttle bus, library, and campus recreation services.
- Academic Deadline (September 14th)
- UMD Email Accounts and Computing Resources
- GSAS (Graduate Students in American Studies). Contact Christopher Pérez or Maria Velazquez for advice getting acclimated to the department and the campus.
- Amstemail@example.com, our Graduate Student information line. Please join to receive news items and bulletins.
- Campus Book Stores: University Book Center.
Your First Month:
- Department Access and Services: Contact Dana Persaud (301) 405-6636.
- Graduate Student Lounge: Visit
- Graduate Student Mailboxes: contact Dana Persaud. Mailboxes are in the main office.
- Computers and Scanner; Computers with network hook-up are in the Graduate Student Lounge.
- University of Maryland Libraries
- AMST Librarian: Eric Lindquist
- Fall Potluck Party: TBA!
- Graduate Studies (The Graduate School)
- AMST Website
- Local Resources and Library Collections
Your First Semester
- AMST Department Faculty
- AMST Affiliate Faculty
- Working Groups
- Media Studies Working Group. Contact Lisa Tropea
- Life Writing Project. Contact: John Caughey
- Material Culture/Visual Culture Working Group (MC/VC). Contact Mary Corbin Sies or Dr. Psyche Williams-Forson
- Carceral Studies Working Group. Contact Johonna McCants or Christina Hanhardt
- Project on Religion, Culture and Globalization.Contact Asim Ali
- Early American Seminar
- Latina/o Studies Working Group. Contact Robb Hernandez or Jessica Johnson
- Chesapeake Chapter of the American Studies Association (CHASA).
- Consortium on Race, Gender, and Ethnicity (CRGE)
- Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities(MITH)
- Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE)
- The David C. Driskell Center for the Study of the Visual Arts and Culture of African Americans and the African Diaspora
- Graduate Student Government (GSG)
- Maryland Food Collective (Coop)
- University Health Center
- Counseling Center, Disability Support Services (DSS)
- Taking courses at other universities through the Washington Area Consortium Arrangement