Major in American Studies

Students who seek to change their major to American Studies are advised to complete the following steps:

1. Get an overview of the overall major and potential focus areas by exploring this website or by picking up handouts from the racks outside 1328F Tawes Hall.

2. Meet with the Undergraduate Director.  Students can set up an advising appointment by contacting the department (301-405-1354).

3. Complete the appropriate forms.  Students will complete a Four Year Plan worksheet and an AMST Advising Worksheet during their intake meeting with the Undergraduate Director.  The AMST worksheet stays in the department in the student’s folder.

4. Submit the “College of Arts & Humanities Change of Major Form.” Students should bring the signed Four Year Plan worksheet to the ARHU Office of Student Affairs (1120 Francis Scott Key Hall, 301-405-2108). Students may be able to meet with an ARHU advisor immediately or may be asked to schedule an appointment at a later date.  Enrollment in the major is not complete until an ARHU advisor has signed the Four Year Plan worksheet.

5. New majors will be assigned a permanent American Studies faculty advisor, with whom you will need to meet with at least once per semester prior to registration.  Advisor assignments are posted outside the American Studies office and online.