Dr. Asim Ali's primary research interest is ethnography, with a focus on how and why people use digital media and popular culture to create communities, and how cultural identity (such as race, gender, sexuality, disability) manifests and transforms on line.
- digital culture, media studies, and popular culture
- race, racism, and American slavery
- religion and globalization
- Ph.D. American Studies (University of Maryland, College Park)
- M.A. Economics (University of Maryland, College Park)
- B.A. Economics (University of California, Berkeley)